“Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.” ~Gillian Anderson

Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Pioneer Day!








Probably anywhere else in the country July 24th is just another day. Well not in Utah, today is Pioneer Day and I think they might celebrate this more than the 4 of July. They have this huge parade in Salt Lake City, and then there are lots of different things going on around the state. Damon even is out of school today for it. It is quite the holiday here. We were thinking about going to the parade this morning, but I didn't really want to be on the road by 6a.m. just to get good seats, so instead we stayed home and had some homemade waffles with strawberries and watched it on the t.v. We are having a nice day home with Damon, now that he has clinicals we barely see him. He usually is getting home around 7p.m. each night, luckily though when he does get home he is all about spending time with us. So it is great to have him home with us today. I bought Olivia this huge beach ball that you hook up to your garden hose and water squirts out these holes, Olivia and the neighbor girl have been outside all morning playing with it. Later this evening they are doing another movie in the park in our subdivision, so we are excited to go and watch that, they will be showing Charlotte's Web with Dakota Fanning. Oh and I am so proud of myself and my cooking lately. I always worried that I might not be every able to cook stuff from scratch. Well with the bread rolls I made and then last night I made shortcake for strawberry shortcakes and they were so yummy. Homemade shortcake, sweetened strawberries and homemade whip cream, yummy. I told my husband that when our girls are older I will have some really yummy food that I make. Well hope all of you out there have a fabulous Pioneer Day!

7 comments:

Michelle Tiller said...

Lovely pictures - looks like Olivia had lots of fun. Sophie is looking so different - she is growing fast.

EmmaJ said...

YAY Siany for being domestic! Did you use the shortcake recipe in the cookbook I got you?
Oh, and did Sophie leave Olivia (or you) a present in her diaper when you took that picture of Olivia holding her? She looks like she has something going on!

The Bell Family said...

Yay I used the recipe from that book, I love that book. No present from Sophie that is just one of her many faces she makes.

Karen Bell said...

I love the pics of livi on the swing, and that beach ball sounds like a lot of fun. Way to go with the cooking! I just made bread from scratch myself the other day and it is easier than I thought. It tasted okay, but didn't look that great.

Rachel said...

This sounds like so much fun! Nobody did anything here to celebrate :( Del did have to talk in church on Sunday, about pioneers though! Haha! Olivia looks so cute!

Julie said...

We are in Utah and were going to go to the parade too, but we didn't want to deal with getting there super early and finding a parking spot. Oh well.
Yahoo for any holidays that let school out!

Unknown said...

James proposed to me on Pioneer day.

Your cooking sounds delicious.