“Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.” ~Gillian Anderson

Saturday, April 4, 2009

We had the opportunity to go to the New York Utica mission reunion last night. That's where Damon served his mission. Its the first one that he has actually ever got to attend so he was very excited to see old companions and too see his old mission president and his wife. It was so great for me to finally meet President Mullen(his mission president) and Sister Mullen. As we met them and they were telling me how great a missionary was. I couldn't help but being so grateful that Damon decided to go and serve a mission. I know for a fact that Damon would not be the man he is today if it wasn't for the things he learned on his mission. As many of you know Damon and I were a couple before he left for his mission. I was so devastated when he left that I probably cried for about a week. I thought 2 years would be the longest 2 years of my life. I laugh now because it seemed so silly, but I was young and in love. I remember though the letters he would send me and they were amazing. You could see his testimony grow with each letter. When he did come home 2 years later, I could barely recognize him. Yes he looked the same but his countenance was so different, he was so humble so knowledgeable in the Gospel.
From this Damon has learned so much about the Gospel. I think it is amazing how much he knows and understands. When ever I have questions, I know that if I ask Damon he will be able to tell me what I need to know, or where to go in the scriptures to find my answer. I love how we can have great Gospel discussions and he can really make me think about certain things.

I guess my whole point about this post is that if it wasn't for Damon going on a mission, I would not have the amazing man as my husband today. I often tease him that if the church decided to send married men out to serve missions, that Damon would be the first one to go and say he would go. Last night though I saw why he is like that. While President Mullen was telling me how great of a missionary Damon was, I thought to myself, yeah he was a great missionary because of the people he met and the work he put into his mission. He was a hard working missionary who put everything into it. I know that we have had and still will have many blessings to come to our family because of the 2 years that Damon sacrificed to serve the Lord.
Okay that's it for now, I really just wrote this so I would remember how great last night was.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren't mission reunions so great. I got to go with James to one of his mission reunions, and boy, it was great to finally see what he loves so much.

Damon seems to be a great guy. I hope someday to meet him and Olivia.

Tonya said...

A mission sure can teach you a lot. It is increadible how they really change how you do little things the rest of your life maybe a little different. I had forgotten you had a blog. Olivia is soooo big! When are you due?

The Bell Family said...

I'm due May 20.